Sunday, April 27, 2014

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

By Vicky Nardone


Today's post is on one of the world's great comfort foods - macaroni and cheese.  I made two pans of this when I was doing kraft services for the film my husband was working on this past weekend.  I learned this recipe from my roommate Alicia in college and it's been my go to mac and cheese recipe since then.  I know a lot of people have their own mac and cheese recipe but if you don't, here's one for you.  This recipe can be made on the stove or in the microwave.  I'm putting the microwave version below, because the only difference on the stove is that you just don't need to take it in and out of the microwave and stir at various intervals.

 Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp dried mustard
  • 2.5 cups milk
  • 8oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8oz elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
Instructions 
  1. Melt butter in the microwave and blend in flour, salt and mustard.
  2. Slowly add milk and stir until smooth
  3. Heat in microwave on high until thickened.  Stir every two to four minutes.
  4. Add 1.25 cups of the cheese.  Heat in microwave until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
  5. Meanwhile, cook the macaroni for 5-7 minutes and drain.
  6. Combine the cooked macaroni with the cheese sauce in a two quart dish.
  7. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and the bread crumbs.
  8. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment