Thursday, October 10, 2013

Chocolate & Caramel Apple Donuts

By Vicky Nardone


So the story of these donuts starts with me changing my pajamas and ends with deliciousness!  My dad was in town visiting last weekend as a surprise for my aunt and uncle for their 40th anniversary.  We had a big surprise party with them and it was awesome!  They were very surprised.

Anyway, my dad loves donuts and he is always commenting when he sees posts or pictures of the desserts that I make that I need to send him some in the mail.  So I decided while he was here on a weekend where we didn't have a million things going on that I would make him some donuts.

A while ago, I saw this great post Jocelyn of Inside BruCrew life on a quick, easy way to make fried donuts.  Apparently if you fry up Pillsbury Grand Rolls, they taste just like donuts.  They're literally amazingly good.  So I convinced Matt to go out for these instead of spending $20-$30 on going out for breakfast.  I get the fryer down in preparation to make these and I tipped it a little (We keep our fryer on top of the fridge) and all of sudden the oil inside the fryer is all over me and the floor.  Luckily dish soap works pretty well for cleaning up slipper oil off the floor.  And our dog Maggie cleaned up any spots that I missed with her tongue.  The last thing we cooked in the fryer was fish so it's kind of like fish oil right?


Anyway, once that disaster was cleaned up I got down to the business at hand.  Making delicious donuts.

Here's how you do it:

Ingredients:

Donuts
  • Container of Pillsbury Grand rolls
  • Oil for frying in (I used veggie oil)
Apple Topping
  • 1 Can Apple Pie Filling
  • Cinnamon
  • Sugar
  • Caramel Sauce
Chocolate Topping
  • Chocolate Fudge

Instructions
  1. Heat your oil to around 325 degrees.
  2. Open the can of Pilsbury rolls and use tongs to stick them in the oil one at a time.  I fried about three at a time.
  3. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until lightly golden brown.
  4. Use tongs to remove from the oil and set on a plate of paper towels.  Pat excess oil off with another paper towel.
  5. After the donuts have cooled off for a minute or two, you can apply the toppings.  For the chocolate donuts, microwave the hot fudge for 30 seconds.  Spread the fudge on top of the donuts.  I think Nutella would be delicious too.
  6. For the caramel apple donuts, combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the donut.  Lay two to three apples on top of the donut.  Lastly, dribble the caramel sauce across the top of the donuts.
  7. Try not to eat all 8 in one sitting. I dare you! 
  Chase the Star Chic on a Shoestring Decorating craftionary

No comments:

Post a Comment