Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Caprese Sandwich

By Vicky Nardone



Today is my birthday!!!! I'm officially 29 years old.  Work has been really busy and stressful lately so I decided to take the day off.  It's been really relaxing and I actually have time for a middle of the week blog post.  Tonight I'm going to this great steak and seafood place near our house called Black and Blue with my mom and Matt for my birthday.  Then on Thursday, Matt is taking me to this other neat place called The Cove with four of my closest friends for dinner and neon mini golf.

Anyway this past Sunday Matt and I were both off from working so we actually got to have lunch together.  My best friend Katie had recently made these great caprese sandwiches when we went to see Shakespeare in the park so I decided to try to replicate them for Matt.  I had actually bought all the ingredients the previous Saturday and I was really made because when I went to make these the rolls were moldy so I had to go back to the store and get new rolls.

Matt loved these and they were gone within 10 minutes!


Caprese Sandwiches (for two)

  •  2 sub rolls
  • Garlic olive oil (or regular if you don't have garlic)
  • Pesto
  • A small mozzerella ball
  • 1 tomato
Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Split the sub rolls in half and use a brush to lightly coat the inside of the roll with the garlic olive oil.
  3. Place the sub rolls on a George foreman grill or panini maker or toaster oven or your oven broiler for about 3 or 4 minutes until their lightly toasted.  I used our George Foreman.
  4. Spread some pesto on top of the olive oil.
  5. Cut the mozzarella ball and the tomato into slices and lay about three slices of each on each sub roll.
  6. Stick the subs in the oven for about 8-10 minutes until everything is warm and melty.
I enjoyed my sandwich with a cold glass of iced tea.  It was great for a light lunch and didn't fill us up too much so we were still hungry for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment