Friday, February 22, 2013

Mod Podge Wedding Photo Plaque

By Vicky Nardone

So I think I mentioned in one of my last posts that I am absolutely in love with mod podge!!!  My friend that I sent my first mod podge creation to shoul hopefully be getting it today so I can post what I sent her tomorrow without ruining the surprise.

In the meantime though, I had some more fun with mod podge last night and created this awesome photo plaque.  I think I'm going to take it to work.  Because I don't really have any wedding photos on my desk right now.  Just an engagement photo that our friend Mel took.


This whole project probably took me an hour and a half from start to finish.  I don't think the picture really does it justice because the light is reflecting oddly off it so it looks more blurry and shiny than it does if you see it in person.

I started with these items:
The plaque is advertised as 9x12 I believe but the actual surface area of the top flat part was approximately 7.5 by 10.5 I believe.  I printed my wedding picture out on plain white printer paper (I found out when I did my first mod podge project that my photo paper kind of bubbled) at 6 x 8.  My wedding flower was a sunflower and I happened to have an old sunflower calendar so I took a page out of that to use as a background behind the picture.  The other ingredients you see are ribbon, mod podge, black and white acrylic paints, and some paint brushes.

The first thing I did was to paint the edges of my wooden plaque black and add white polka dots after the black had dried.  I let the whole thing dry before proceeding to the next step.

I cut my calendar page to be the same size as the flat part of the plaque.  I applied a layer of mod podge to the top and sides and then stuck my background on the plaque.  Once that had dried (the package says about 15-20 minutes between coats of mod podge) I again applied a layer of mod podge to the top and sides and stuck my photograph on top.  I let that dry a little bit and then applied a third layer of mod podge to the top of everything and the sides.  I think most people tend do do a few layers of mod podge over the whole thing once you have added all your items but this seemed to do it for me.


The last thing I did after everything had dried was to take my sheer gold ribbon and use my avg gun to give it a sticky backing.  I lined the edges of the picture with the ribbon as an extra embellishment.

I bought a second plaque so you may be seeing another project with mod podge from me soon.  We had a photo booth at our wedding so I really want to do something with the photos from that for the third one.

In other news, petsmart is having a Petsmart Charities Adoption Event this weekend that I will probably be checking out for dogs!  I just wish Matt wasn't working all weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment