Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Blueberry Skillet Cornbread - Whatever Wednesday #10

By Vicky Nardone

I have been wanting a skillet ever since I saw the delicious looking recipes that other bloggers have posted.  I recently got one and of course the first thing that I thought of making in it was cornbread.  But not just cornbread - blueberry cornbread!

Now I had read about how you're supposed to season your skillet before using it.  I wasn't quite sure how to do that so I looked it up online and it takes like 5 hours to season a skillet!  I didn't have five hours until the party I was throwing that I was making this cornbread for so I cheated and sprayed down the skillet with some Pam.  So maybe this cornbread was not as authentic as it should have been but it was totally delicious!  Everyone who came over for the party loved it.


My base recipe was from here and then I added blueberries to it.


Ingredients
  • ¾ cup unsalted butter¾ cup white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1¾ cup buttermilk
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1½ cup corn meal
  • 1½ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ teaspoon salt 
  • 1 carton blueberries
Instructions 
  1. Preheat oven to 375 and put your cast iron skillet inside to heat.
  2. Melt butter and combine with sugar in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs and combine with butter mixture.
  4. Stir buttermilk into baking soda and add to mixture.
  5. Combine cornmeal, flour and salt together in a separate bowl, and then slowly stir into wet ingredients. Combine thoroughly to form a thick batter.
  6. Remove skillet from the oven with potholders and pour batter in.  I poured about half the batter and then poured in my carton of blueberries and spread them out evenly and then poured in the rest of the batter. 
  7. Return the skillet to the oven and bake between 30 and 40 minutes.  A toothpick inserted into the top should come out clean.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment