Saturday, May 24, 2014

Raspberry Peach Smoothie

By Vicky Nardone


I'd been paging through my two smoothie recipe books and nothing was jumping out at me.  I was mulling over possibilities in my head to make with the fruit I had on hand and one combination jumped out at me - peach and raspberry.  Raspberries are my favorite fruit but they generally need a bit of sweetness added to make a good smoothie.  Peaches work perfectly for that.

I started thinking about what else I want to include.  I've made smoothies so often now that I know how much of each type of item I need to add to the thickness I want.  I was thinking about adding a frozen banana but I read something recently that changed my mind.  Did you know that you can use avocados to give your smoothie extra thickness similar to the way a banana would, but with less sugar?  So I tried it.  I cut my avocado in half, peeled off the skin and pulled out the pit and stuck it in the freezer for a few hours.  And it worked!  I couldn't taste the avocado at all but the smoothie was nice and thick and I got the benefits of the healthy fats that avocados have in them.

I would definitely make this smoothie again.  It hit the spot!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 a frozen avocado
  • 1/2 cup of frozen peaches
  • 1/2 cup of frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 cup of orange peach mango juice (or regular orange juice)
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 1 cup of ice
Blend in your blender until smooth and serve!


Linked up to:
Time to Sparkle
Share Your Cup Thursday
 Photobucket A Handful of Everything

No comments:

Post a Comment