Only one more day until the weekend. I can't wait, especially since I have a 12:30 am work call tonight.
Last weekend's project was another purse. I used the same pattern:
Instead of making the smaller B View purse this time I made the A View purse. See my first attempt at a purse here. I made several adjustments to this pattern the second time around which I think made for a much better purse. As you can see from the picture above, I used a simplicity 2830 pattern. I saw this at JoAnns for like $2.00 and after not having sewn anything for the past 20 years, I decided it was time to get back into it. I should probably do a little more research on my patterns in the future though because every single review on this pattern I found online said it was terrible and confusing.
Anyway, the adjustments I made the second time around were as follows:
- Created a lining for the inside of the purse by cutting an extra piece of the main purse piece on the blue fabric. I actually did this on both purses because I think the purse would be really flimsy without it. I think if I make another one, I'd use interfacing as well to give it a little bit of extra stiffness.
- The purse straps on my first purse were a little flimsy so I cut the straps at 1.5 times the width this time to add a little bit of bulk. I also cut four pieces of the strap instead of the recommended three because I thought the straps were a little short on my original.
- I also changed how I cut things on the fold. I put the bottom of the purse pieces against the fold instead of one of the sides because it saved a step of sewing up the bottoms.
- Also, instead of making a top for the purse with a zipper, I left it open and just put in a snap. The top of the purse was the most difficult part last time so as a newbie, I avoided it and I think it came out a lot cleaner with the snap.
- I added two pockets on the inside for storing my cell phone and other knick knacks.