Sunday, February 3, 2013

Superbowl Snacks

By Vicky Nardone

Today is Superbowl Sunday - an anticipated event for many football fans in the US.  Funny enough, we've got it on right now, and for the first time that I can remember, the game has been delayed due to a power outage in half of the stadium.  Very strange. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share with you two of the snacks that Matt and I had for the game.  Neither of us are big football fans.  I'm watching mostly for the commercials and the halftime show and Matt is watching because I have it on.  Here are the snacks and my recipes for them.  Both of them are a little bit of an inexact science.

Taco Dip
 We like to make our taco dip with a layer of homemade guacamole on the bottom.  I used to make a 7 layer taco dip but Matt told me this morning that he likes this one just as well and it's a lot less work. You most likely won't use the entire contents of everything listed below.

Ingredients
1 avocado
A jar of salsa
Half of a lemon
Garlic or garlic powder
A small container of sour cream
A package of cheese
A small can of black olives (optional)

Start by cutting the avocado in half and scooping the contents into a bowl (one with a flat bottom is best if you have it).  Add two tablespoons of salsa, the juice of the half a lemon and 1/4 tablespoon of garlic powder.  Mash those ingredients together to make the guacamole base.  I like using a potato masher to mix it up but you can just use a spoon if you can get it nice and smooth.  Spread the guacamole evenly over the base of the bowl.  On top of that spread out a layer of sour cream to cover the guacamole.  On top of that, spread a layer of salsa.  The next layer is a layer of shredded cheese.  I prefer the thin shredded cheddar cheese but you can use whatever kind you like.  Lastly, we like black olives so I top the whole thing with a layer of those.  Scoop with you favorite type of tortilla chips.  This whole thing was gone within twenty minutes!

Chex Mix
 I think I actually got this idea by seeing them make chex mix in a chex commercial.  Matt and I love the kind you buy in the store, but I thought it would be cool to make it homemade too.  I think I experimented a little with spices when I first started making it but now I have a pretty set recipe.  I don't measure out the ingredients though - I just kind of throw in a little of each thing and add more if it doesn't taste like it has enough.

Ingredients
Chex (We usually use the corn variety)
Worcestershire Sauce
2-3 table spoons of butter
Chili Powder
Salt
Garlic Powder

Pour about half the box of chex mix into a bowl.  Melt the butter in the microwave and pour it over the chex mix.  Sprinkle the Worcestershire Sauce, chili powder, salt and garlic powder over the top of the chex.  Again, use your discretion about how much to add.  I've never had a problem with adding too much of anything.  Mix everything together.  If you don't mind the chex mix being a little wet from the butter and Worcestershire Sauce (we don't) you can eat right away.  Otherwise, give it about 20 minutes or so to dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment