Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Orange Chocolate Easter Muddy Buddies

By Vicky Nardone
I have always associated orange chocolate with Easter but tonight my husband Matt told me that's apparently just me.  My mom used to buy the orange chocolate miniatures from Niagara Candy (not sure if that's just a Buffalo thing) when I was growing up.  Anyway, in honor of Easter I'm making a twist on an old favorite of mine that my babysitter when I was growing up used to make me.  I got the inspiration to make these from +Alyssa Adams with her Andes Mints Muddy Buddies which I definitely plan to try making next time I make muddy buddies.  These are orange chocolate muddy buddies with rainbow sprinkles.  Although actually a lot of the rainbow sprinkles melted so they didn't show up as well as I would have liked.

Anyway, this is a five minute snack to make.  Here's what you need:
  • About 1/3 bag of chocolate chips
  • 2tsps Orange extract
  • 3 cups cheerios
  • Powdered sugar
  • Rainbow sprinkles (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Note that if you are able to find orange chocolate unlike me (I went to three different stores!) you don't need to use the chocolate chips and orange flavoring.

Start by pouring the chocolate chips and milk in a microwave safe bowl and heating for about 40 seconds in the microwave (or until the chocolate is melted). 

Add the orange chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted.  I apologize because I forgot to take a picture of this next step, but add your cheerios and stir until they are well coated with chocolate.

Then, add a bit of powdered sugar to a bag (I'd say about a 1/4 or 1/3 cup should do) and sprinkle the rainbow sprinkles in too.  Dump your chocolate covered cheerios in the bag and zip it closed (yes, I recommend a ziplock for this).  Shake the bag for a minute or two to get the cheerios well coated.

When you're done, simply dump into a bowl, serve and enjoy.  Kids especially love this treat.


If you haven't already entered my fleece-lined knitted hat giveaway please take a minute and do so now.  All you need to do is leave a comment on the post!

Linked up to:
Lil\'LunaFeeding Big

No comments:

Post a Comment